Saturday, December 6, 2008

Talking about learning a foreign language


Discussion 1:
Compare and contrast these photographs, saying which you think is a better way of learning English.

Discussion 2: What might help you to improve your English? Talk to other students and decide which of the following activities are the most important, why, and in what order.

Reading books
Reading newspapers and magazines
Using dictionaries
Practising writing
Speaking to other students
Watching TV programmes and films without being dubbed.
Having a good teacher
Doing homework (grammar, vocabulary etc..)
Listening to songs
Using Internet
Using the language at work
Going to the country where the language is spoken

Useful language:

Giving opinions
I just think the best way ..........................
In my opinion, ...................................
I have my doubts whether/about ................
I just don't think that .........................
I've always thought that.......................
................. is an important factor for me
Personally, I haven't the faintest idea about/whether .....
I'd just like to say ........

Asking for the opinion of others
What/ How about you?
What's your opinion?
what do you think?
don't you think..........?

Agreement
So do I
Neither do I
That's true
I agree .............
I couldn't agree more
I think so

Saying you aren't sure
Hmm.. I'd have to think about it.
Well, I'm in two minds about it really.
I can't make up my mind.

Disagreement
Yes, but what about?
but, don't you agree that....?
Actually, I think ..................
I see what you mean but I'm not at all sure/convinced that ...........
Yes, but i don't think that......
True, but I'm afraid I disagree (with) .....
Perhaps, but I can't help thinking that......
I see your point but that's not the way I see it.



No comments: