Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Asking for information(language course)

Writing - Letter-Writing - Transactional Letters
Purpose: Asking for information

Kind of language:
FormalOutline:
· Beginning (greetings): Start with Dear Ms, or Dear Mr, (you know who to address; end with Yours sincerely) or start with Dear Sir/Madam, (you don't know who to address; end with Yours faithfully).

Useful language: I am writing to enquire about...
· First paragraph: start by saying WHY YOU'RE WRITING
· Second paragraph: Asking for information. You can repeat this paragraph many times. Useful language: I would be grateful if you could send me...
· Closing comments: Extra request (asking for a brochure if it's possible, …) and additional information that you thing the person who will receive the letter could be interested in.
· Saying thank you
· Ending:
Yours sincerely or Yours faithfully

Useful Language
-I am writing in response to your advertisement in DATE's edition of NAME OF PAPER concerning possible work with/in ... -I would be grateful if you could send me a copy of your summer brochure. -I am writing to enquire whether you could let me have some information about your apartments. -I would like to know more about the type of accommodation that you can provide


Sample Letter in about 160 words

Dear Sir/Madam, I am writing to ask for information about your language courses. I am especially interested in a two-week intensive course. I have been studying English for three years at a state-run language school in Madrid (Common European Framework B1 level). However, I would like to improve my oral skills.

I have looked at your website but there is no detailed information about dates and prices for your intensive summer courses. Which are the courses you will be offering in July and August? I would also like to know if you have multi-cultural groups, preferably with non-Spanish-speaking students.

Finally, my partner plans to visit me while I am there, for a couple of days. We would prefer to stay at the same place. Would that be possible?

I would be grateful if you could send me this information to my e-mail address or to the address below.

Thank you for your time. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully,

No comments: