Sunday, November 23, 2008

Comparing pictures. Life in the city




Task: Compare and contrast these situations, saying what aspects of citylife are shown and what they have to tell us about life in the city today.

OK, well I'm going to describe the park . The first photograph shows a summer's day in a city park in..... well I'm not sure.... but I think it could be London ... or , well, perhaps it's Hyde Park.

Anyway, there are people taking advantage of the glorious weather and doing some sort of exercise. It might be a Sunday morning because there are a lot of people.

The other photograph is similar- there are also a lot of people, but this time it's people on the move in, well, must be London ....... I think it's Waterloo Station, probably the rush hour. I think it is probably the rush hour. I get the impression that the people are hurring to get the tube, . train or bus from work. It's hard to tell what time of year it is but whereas in the first photograph I described it is definitely summer, here something makes me think it's autumn or winter, though I suppose it could just be a rather grey and miserable summer's day.

So, While one photograph shows people in the city taking a few moments of leisure, the other shows people getting to or from work. I think they both tell us important things about life in modern cities.
What I mean is that cities are places people come to spend their leisure time, shopping or going to the cinema or theatres or, as in the photograph, just enjoying a city park. At the same time, people come to work, and because of that transport takes on a very important role.

In the park you can even forget for a while that you're even in a city...... the traffic noise is just a distant hum.... but in a situation like the second photograph the noise and smell of the traffic would be very noticeable...... so that's another difference between the two scenes..... relative peace and quiet in the first one, and the noise in the other.

No comments: